Hair loss affects over 30% of Caucasian women over the age of 50. Hair loss affects over 60% of African American women during the years of 25 to 50 years of age. Hair loss in Black women differs from Black men. Black women do not go bald… they exhibit a traumatic and abuse hair loss. Nevertheless, hair loss can be emotionally devastating.
Common Causes Of Hair Loss
- Early exposure to harsh chemicals.
- Scarring from chemical damage by the hair relaxants and chronic traction from hair braiding and weaving.
- Non-hormonal causes include: thyroid gland disorders, iron deficiency anemia, medications, and nutritional changes from dieting and rapid weight loss, the stress of illnesses and surgical procedures, and most commonly emotional stress.
- And most understood condition that I feel is also a factor is crisis consciousness. This condition should be dealt with a hair coach or a certified therapist.
This affects most women on medication for physical or psychological reasons. Since most black women are affected by:
- Emotional issues
- Mental condition
- Mineral deficiency
- Auto-immune disorder
- Drugs and other medical reasons
All of these will have played an important part as she reaches the peri-menopausal point in her life; thirties and late twenties. Most cosmetologists do not possess the disciplines to deal with medicine hair. Here are some characteristic of medicine hair:
- No reaction to moisture
- No reaction to head
- No reaction to color
- Wiry, no elasticity
- Lack of suppleness or vibrancy
If crime labs can detect drugs from a single hair strand in the scalp, then one can begin to understand the capacity of information a single strand of hair can hold. The resins of substances are absorbed into the membrane of the cellular tissue.
Noticing signs of thinning hair or hair loss can be a frightening and devastating experience. You don’t have to suffer in silence wondering what can be done. Our recommendation is to talk to a physician such as a dermatologist and have them examine your scalp and run tests to determine possible causes of your hair loss. In the meantime, you can still maintain your glamorous look by wearing a custom hair system specific made for your hair loss situation. Call (619) 820-0290 or schedule a free complementary consultation today.