Different types of men’s hair requires different styling techniques. If you need help styling your hair, it happens to many men, mostly because they’re not sure which type of hair they have.
While we all know that hair has different shades and lengths, in this blog post, we will explore the different types of men’s hair. Our goal is to help you understand your hair type so that you can attain the best possible look.
Hair is a fascinating aspect of our individual personality, as it’s one of the things that defines one’s style. In fact, it plays a significant role in our overall look. For men, there’s a range of grooming and styling options.
Different Types Of Men’s Hair
Generally speaking, there are various hair types for men. However, they can be classified into four common categories that include curly, straight, kinky, and wavy. Regardless which hair type you have, each one has distinct features, and requires care to maintain hair health.
Curly hair has a spiral pattern. Due to the oval-shaped hair shafts, these hair strands are naturally curly, thus hair grows out curly from the scalp. It’s natural bounce ranges from spring curls to loose waves. This type of hair also frizzes easily and tends to be porous and dry. However, with proper care, curly hair can look voluminous and stylish.
Curly Hair Tips
- Only shampoo your hair when needed. Shampooing curly hair too often can leave it dry, frizzy, and hard to manage.
- Keep your scalp and hair moisturized.
- Detangle your hair before shampoo.
Straight hair is one of the most common different types of men’s hair. Albeit it’s smooth and sleek, straight hair doesn’t hold curly hairstyles well. There are no curves and crookedness in this hair type. In fact, all hairs are straight and move in a similar direction without bending.
Straight Hair Tips
- Don’t overuse product as too much product on straight hair will weigh it down. A very small amount of a volumizing mousse is all you need.
- Straight hair is very prone to split ends. Getting a haircut every four to six weeks is best!
- Winter is the season of static for those with straight. A great tip is to spray down your hairbrush with a bit of Static Guard.
Kinky hair, also called tightly coiled or natural hair, has tightly zigzag shaped strands. Because of its tight coils, kinky hair is fragile and more prone to dryness and breakage. This hair type is diverse and can be taken from kinky to curly to wavy, or straight.
Kinky Hair Tips
- If your hair is more than an inch long, detangle it with your fingers before trying to comb it.
- A moisturizing shampoo and conditioner is key to maintaining healthy hair.
- Unless you work in construction or similar industry, don’t shampoo your hair every day as it will dry it out.
Wavy hair for men falls in between curly and straight hair. Its gentle curves and bends creates a wavy pattern. This hair type can also vary in texture, from loose waves to more defined S shapes. Because of its versatility, it can be straightened or enhanced for a more distinctive curl pattern.
Wavy Hair Tips
- For the best wavy hair look, get the right haircut that enhances the volume and thickness of your hair like a textured quiff.
- Air drying is like a magic potion for wavy hair as it retains your hair’s moisture as well as maintains your hair’s natural shape.
- Wavy hair is also prone to frizziness, so start in the shower using a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner.
Although we’ve discussed the four most common different types of men’s hair, some men have a combination of textures. As such, your ethnic background plays an essential role in your hair type. Knowing which type of hair you have makes it easier to achieve a healthy, stylish, and modern look.
You may also enjoy reading: Protein Snacks For Healthy Hair and Skin